We have answered the questions that we are asked most frequently by current participants.

  • Who do I contact in the event of an emergency?

    You call us at 248-885-004. If you call the emergency line and do not have a REAL emergency, you will be told to return the call during business hours or to call the office line and leave a message.

    We are available to answer routine calls between 9am and 4pm (Eastern Standard Time) , Monday through Friday, at the office line (248-645-0505).   Non-emergency calls received outside of these hours will be returned the next business day.

  • I would like to move. How do I do that?

    You must email us at marisa@dynamicglobalexchange.com within 5 days of your move in order to maintain your legal status. Your email address should include your full name, current host company, previous address, and new address- including apartment or room number.

    Please note that most of our participants are required to sign leases to secure their housing. Once you have signed a lease, you are obligated to pay rent for the entire duration of your lease. Participants that leave the program early or choose to live elsewhere remain bound by their lease and are financially responsible for their rent.

  • I want to change host companies. How do I do that?

    You may not quit until you have discussed the situation with us. You must work through the typical protocols, including discussing problems with your supervisor and working toward a solution. (In the United States, it is customary to give your host company at least two weeks notice when you resign from your job. We expect our participants to give their host companies two weeks notice.) If DGE agrees that you leaving the host company is acceptable, you must acquire a new placement within 10 days.

    The U.S. Department of State requires DGE to fully research all host companies before allowing you to accept a placement with them. Moving to a new host company without the approval of DGE will cause your visa sponsorship to be terminated, requiring you to depart the U.S. within five days.

  • I want to get a second job. Can I do that?

    You are not allowed to take a second job. The State Department regulations for the Intern and Training programs require us to withdraw our sponsorship of your visa if you take a second job.

  • What is a social security card and do I need one?

    A social security card is the card that contains the nine-digit number issued to U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and temporary (working) residents by the Social Security Administration. All Intern and Training participants must apply for a social security card. You can find more information here.

    Refer to your orientation materials for details on applying for a Social Security card.  It is important to wait 10 days after your U.S. arrival to apply for your card. For the nearest Social Security office location, click here.

  • Do I have to pay taxes on my stipend?

    All individuals who have earned income in the U.S. are required to file a tax return for the previous year. Your tax return should show your earnings for the previous year, the taxes you paid and the total amount of taxes owed or refunded.  At the beginning of a calendar year, your employer will send you a W-2 form (required by law to mail you by February 15).  Make sure your employer has your home country address so that the W-2 will be sent there if you have returned home. 

    This form is required to file your tax return.  Dynamic Global Exchange is not licensed to provide tax advice, so cannot provide you with tax help or information.  Tax laws vary from state to state. We recommend that you contact a local professional tax advisor or the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) if you have questions. The IRS requires us to tell you that if you make more than $3300 in a calendar year you must pay taxes.  For further information visit the IRS website.

    The Department of State recommends that you review the following pages on the IRS website: Taxation of Nonresident AliensAbout Form 1040-NR, U.S. Nonresident Alien Income Tax ReturnBeware of "ghost" preparers who don’t sign tax returns, and Tax Scams/Consumer Alerts.

  • I lost an immigration document. What do I do?

    If your passport (your visa is imprinted inside and your I-94 should be stapled inside) is lost or stolen, you must get a replacement immediately. Follow the steps found here. (You must go to the local police station and report your documents as being lost or stolen.  Ask for a police report of the incident.)

    To get a new passport contact your embassy in the U.S. To find your embassy, click here.

    If you lost your visa fax the Consular General at your embassy abroad. To find your embassy, click here. Specify if the visa has been lost or stolen.  Include a copy of your visa, passport number, full name, date of birth, place of birth, current address, and e-mail address.  You must apply to U.S. embassy (outside the U.S.) for a new (replacement) visa.  If you choose to not replace your visa, you will remain in legal status.  However you will not be allowed re-entry if you exit the U.S.

    To get a replacement for a lost/stolen I-94 card an application may be found here 

    To replace a lost/stolen DS-2019 contact us at deb@dynamicglobalexchange.com. Replacement cost is $20.

    As a reminder, make a copy of your passport, visa, I-94, and DS-2019 and store in a safe place.  Do not carry your passport with you.