We have answered the questions that we are asked most frequently by current participants.

  • Who do I contact in the event of an emergency?

    You call us at 248-885-004. If you call the emergency line and do not have a REAL emergency, you will be told to return the call during business hours or to call the office line and leave a message.

    We are available to answer routine calls between 9am and 4pm (Eastern Standard Time) , Monday through Friday, at the office line (248-645-0505).   Non-emergency calls received outside of these hours will be returned the next business day.

  • I would like to move. How do I do that?

    You must email us at marisa@dynamicglobalexchange.com within 5 days of your move in order to maintain your legal status. Your email address should include your full name, current host company, previous address, and new address- including apartment or room number.

  • I want to work a second job. Can I do that?

    Yes. The State Department allows you to take a second job only if you follow the rules below before accepting employment and starting work.  

    1. Complete this form and email it to marisa@dynamicglobalexchange.com
    2. Allow DGE 3 business days (Monday-Friday) to research and vet the employer
    3. Receive approval from DGE to accept the additional employment
  • I want to quit my job and start a new one. What do I need to do?

    You may NOT quit without first discussing the situation with us. You must work through the typical protocols, including discussing problems with your supervisor and working toward a solution. (In the United States, it is customary to give your employer at least two weeks notice when you resign from your job. We expect our participants to give their host companies two weeks notice.) If DGE agrees that you leaving the employer is acceptable, you must acquire a new job within 10 days. The same process applies for a new employers that apply to getting a second job.

  • What is a social security card and do I need one?

    A social security card is the card that contains the nine-digit number issued to U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and temporary (working) residents by the Social Security Administration. All Work Travel participants must apply for a social security card. You can find more information here.

    Refer to your orientation materials for details on applying for a Social Security card.  It is important to wait 10 days after your U.S. arrival to apply for your card.   For the nearest Social Security office location, click here.

  • Do I have to pay taxes on my earnings?

    All individuals who have earned income in the U.S. are required to file a tax return for the previous year. Your tax return should show your earnings for the previous year, the taxes you paid and the total amount of taxes owed or refunded.  At the beginning of a calendar year, your employer will send you a W-2 form (required by law to mail you by February 15).  Make sure your employer has your home country address so that the W-2 will be sent there if you have returned home. 

    This form is required to file your tax return.  Dynamic Global Exchange is not licensed to provide tax advice, so cannot provide you with tax help or information.  Tax laws vary from state to state. We recommend that you contact a local professional tax advisor or the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) if you have questions. The IRS requires us to tell you that if you make more than $3300 in a calendar year you must pay taxes.  For further information, visit the IRS website.

    The Department of State recommends that you review the following pages on the IRS website: Taxation of Nonresident AliensAbout Form 1040-NR, U.S. Nonresident Alien Income Tax ReturnBeware of "ghost" preparers who don’t sign tax returns, and Tax Scams/Consumer Alerts.

  • I lost an immigration document. What do I do?

    If your passport (your visa is imprinted inside and your I-94 should be stapled inside) is lost or stolen, you must get a replacement immediately. Follow the steps found here. (You must go to the local police station and report your documents as being lost or stolen.  Ask for a police report of the incident.)

    To get a new passport contact your embassy in the U.S. To find your embassy, click here.

    If you lost your visa fax the Consular General at your embassy abroad. To find your embassy, click here. Specify if the visa has been lost or stolen.  Include a copy of your visa, passport number, full name, date of birth, place of birth, current address, and e-mail address.  You must apply to U.S. embassy (outside the U.S.) for a new (replacement) visa.  If you choose to not replace your visa, you will remain in legal status.  However you will not be allowed re-entry if you exit the U.S.

    To get a replacement for a lost/stolen I-94 card an application may be found here.  

    To replace a lost/stolen DS-2019 contact us at deb@dynamicglobalexchange.com. Replacement cost is $20.

    As a reminder, make a copy of your passport, visa, I-94, and DS-2019 and store in a safe place.  Do not carry your passport with you unless conducting business, leaving the U.S., or for airline travel.